Modifications of Orders Tenacious Advocacy, Because Each Family Matters

Modifications of Orders in Charleston

Seeking a Modification to Your Court Order?

In the time following a divorce, the financial and personal circumstances of each spouse can change dramatically. For this reason, modifications to certain terms of the divorce are common. Because the court must agree to modify the order in question, the change must be significant enough to warrant the court’s involvement.

At Shaw Law Firm, LLC, our Charleston modification of orders lawyers can handle any type of modification of orders. Attorney Heather Shaw can provide skilled counsel whether you need to make a change to a child custody agreement, child support order, or spousal support payments. Terms relating to children and support are rarely set in stone. Contact our Charleston attorneys to see if you qualify to modify your previous court order.

When Can Child Custody Be Modified?

The court will only make a child custody modification if it can be demonstrated that such an action is in the child’s best interest. If the other parent has developed addiction issues, is living with an abusive partner, or is experiencing other potentially harmful circumstances, a court may decide that a custody modification is warranted.

Child custody modifications can also be made if your circumstances have improved, and you are now in a position to be the custodial parent. Courts will always try to act in the best interests of the child, so it must be demonstrated that a change in custody will mark a significant improvement in their environment.

Seeking a Child Support Modification?

A modification can change both the amount and terms of a child support order. To be considered for a child support modification, you must be able to demonstrate a substantial change in financial circumstances for either of the parents or a significant change in the needs of the child or children involved.

Common reasons for a child support modification include:

  • Substantial change in the child’s needs
  • Incarceration of either parent
  • Either parent becomes disabled
  • Change in state child support laws
  • Significant increase in income after marriage

Alimony Modifications

Usually, spousal support payments made on a periodic basis can be subject to a modification. In many cases, an alimony order will define certain circumstances under which it will be changed or terminated. Alimony modifications can only be made if a substantial change in financial circumstances can be demonstrated.

After alimony is ordered, a modification may be ordered if a substantial change in circumstances has occurred. If one party is now earning significantly more or less money, there is a strong argument that alimony should be modified.

Hire an Advocate with Modifications Experience

Our Charleston modification of orders lawyers at Shaw Law Firm, LLC has 10 years of combined experience with family law matters, which gives her unique insight into modifications. Attorney Heather Shaw has a comprehensive understanding of alimony, child support, child custody, and other court orders, allowing her to craft strong and effective strategies to obtain modifications.

Circumstances can change. Let our modification of ordersattorneys help you modify your court orders by calling (843) 256-3499!

Our Client Endorsements

  • “Attorney Shaw is very compassionate. She and her staff helped me through a very difficult time. They were quick to respond to questions and advice was honest and always steered me in the right ...”

    - Divorce Client
  • “Ms. Shaw helped me with a divorce action that I filed. Her office scheduled the appointment quickly and the fee was very reasonable. In the short period of time we met, Ms. Shaw gave me some excellent ...”

    - Divorce Client
  • “This review is to acknowledge the professional and legal expertise of Attorney Heather Shaw and paralegal Karen Berry of the Shaw Law Firm, LLC. My wife and I retained Heather and her firm to ...”

    - Vinnie
  • “Ms. Shaw was very professional but at the same time, she was personable! I felt that I could trust her from the moment I sat in her office. My divorce was extremely emotional and she was very ...”

    - Missy
  • “A genuinely good person and genius attorney. I got everything I wanted and more at an affordable cost. Her assistant Karen kept me informed and was very nice to me during the entire process. Such a ...”

    - Child Custody Client

Why Clients Choose Us

  • Case Consultation

    We offer clients an informative consultation to share the details of their situation.

  • Tenacious Advocacy

    We offer the advocacy our clients need to protect themselves and their family.

  • Proven Results

    We help our clients set realistic goals and stand by their side every step of the way.

  • Honest Counsel

    The strategic and unwavering representation we provide is hard to find elsewhere.