Charleston Child Custody Lawyer
Call (843) 256-3499 to Schedule a Consultation!
Whether divorcing amicably or in a contested dispute, it is vital that you have a lawyer who understands family law and who will work as hard as necessary to help meet your goals. At Shaw Law Firm, LLC, we have extensive experience helping our clients negotiate terms, enforce their parental rights, and safeguard their child's well-being.Our Charleston child custody lawyers understand the emotional complexities involved in this critical legal process. We are prepared to provide the supportive and assertive counsel you need and deserve through every step of child custody proceedings.
We are ready to discuss how you can best assert your rights. Call Shaw Law Firm, LLC to set up your confidential consult!
Determining the Best Interests of the Child
In South Carolina, there is no automatic assumption of which parent would be better fit to have custody of a child. Taken on a case-by-case basis, the paramount consideration is the best interests of the child. If the two parents cannot agree to terms on their own, a family court may order an evaluation from a professional child custody evaluator. Each parent may also retain a child custody evaluator to assert their capabilities as a parent.
What do family courts factor in when establishing child custody orders?
- Which parent has been the primary caretaker
- The financial and educational resources of the parents
- The educational opportunities of the child
- The psychological and emotional state of the child
- Any medical conditions, particularly if the child has special needs or is disabled
- The home environment, including possible influence of other household members
- Parental conduct, including activities that might have contributed to the divorce
- Child preference if they are deemed old enough to provide input
When it comes to family law matters such as these, it is essential that you have skilled legal counsel to advise you on how to best assert your rights, enabling you to protect your child's future. There are many legal nuances involved, including judicial tendencies and the reputation of the child custody evaluator.
Types of Child Custody in South Carolina
For years, South Carolina courts considered joint custody as detrimental to the well-being of a child, and judges were hesitant to grant such arrangements. However, our state courts are now mandated to consider all types of arrangements when deliberating custody.
Shaw Law Firm, LLC can help you construct any type of child custody plan including:
- Determines in which household the child will live. In a sole physical custody arrangement, the child lives exclusively in one parent's home. In joint physical custody arrangements, the child will reside for a set period of time in both homes.
- Determines a parent's right to make major decisions in regards to the child, including education, medical, and spiritual matters. Joint legal custody is usually given preference. However, the judge may award one party primary decision making authority for specific matters, such as health care, while leaving the other child welfare decisions to be shared between the parents.
- The amount of time the noncustodial parent will share with the child. Specified holiday and vacation time are often included in a court-ordered visitation schedule.
We understand how important it is for you to maintain the strong family bonds you have with your child. At Shaw Law Firm, LLC we offer the assertive legal counsel and dynamic advocacy you need to safeguard your parental rights during child custody proceedings.
Protect your relationship with your child. Call (843) 256-3499 today! Request a case consultation with our child custody attorney.